An ACT prohibiting smoking in public places and places of employment
Link to HB 289
This bill would:
Redefine smoking to include the use of electronic cigarettes, and prohibit their use anywhere smoking is prohibited.
The bill has been referred to the House Health and Welfare Committee, which meets on Wednesdays and Thursdays of each week. It has yet to be added to the Committee's agenda.
Please call, write, or fax the members of the Health and Welfare Committee listed below.
What to say:
1. You would like them to amend the bill to remove e-cigarette use, specifically Section 1 (10b) in the definition of smoke or smoking, "(b) The use of an e-cigarette which creates a vapor, in any manner or in any form;" should be deleted.
2. Tell your story on how switching to an e-cigarette or smokeless tobacco has changed your life.
3. Explain how smoking bans are enacted to protect the public from the harm of second-hand smoke, but electronic cigarettes have not been shown to cause harm to bystanders. In fact, all evidence to date shows that the low health risks associated with electronic cigarettes is comparable to other smokeless nicotine products.
This is supported by research done by Dr. Siegel of Boston University, Dr. Eissenberg of Virginia Commonwealth and Dr. Laugesen of Health New Zealand and by the fact that the FDA testing, in spite of its press statement, failed to find harmful levels of carcinogens or toxic levels of any chemical in the vapor.
4. Let them know that vapor does not behave in the same manner as smoke. There is no "side stream" vapor like the side stream smoke coming from the lit end of a cigarette and unlike cigarette smoke, The vapor is virtually odorless and dissipates quickly. There is also no ash or litter. With so little evidence of use, enforcing indoor use bans on electronic cigarettes would be nearly impossible.
5. Inform them that the ability to use electronic cigarettes in public spaces will actually improve public health by inspiring other smokers to switch. Surveys of thousands of users indicate that the majority of those who switch very quickly completely replace tobacco cigarettes with the electronic cigarettes, reducing their health risks by 98-99%.
So even if smokers think they are using electronic cigarettes just for indoor use, the chances are high that they will stop using tobacco cigarettes altogether
6. Tell them that by switching to a smokeless product, you have greatly reduced your health risks.
7. Direct them to the CASAA.org website for more information.
Rep. Thomas J. Burch DISTRICT 30 (D) Chair
4012 Lambert Ave, Louisville, KY 40218
HOME: (502)454-4002 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. Bob M. DeWeese DISTRICT 48 (R) Vice Chair
6206 Glenhill Rd, Louisville, KY 40222
CAPITOL: (502)564-5391 HOME: (502)426-5565
Rep. David Watkins DISTRICT 11 (D) Vice Chair
5600 Timberlane Drive, Henderson, KY 42420
HOME: (270)826-0952 HOME FAX: (270)826-3338
Rep. Addia Wuchner DISTRICT 66 (R) Vice Chair
PO Box 911, Burlington, KY 41005
ANNEX: (502)564-8100 WORK: (859)525-6698
Rep. Julie Raque Adams DISTRICT 32 (R)
213 South Lyndon Lane, Louisville, KY 40222
HOME: (502)744-9264 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. John A. Arnold, Jr. DISTRICT 7 (D)
1301 North Lee PO Box 124, Sturgis, KY 42459
ANNEX: (502)564-8100 WORK: (270)333-4641
Rep. Kelly M. Flood DISTRICT 75 (D)
121 Arcadia Park, Lexington, KY 40503
HOME: (859)221-3107 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. Jim Glenn DISTRICT 13 (D)
PO Box 21562, Owensboro, KY 42304
HOME: (270)686-8760 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. David Brent Housman DISTRICT 3 (R)
2307 Jefferson Street, Paducah, KY 42001
HOME: (270)366-6611 HOME FAX: (270)442-6394
Rep. Joni L. Jenkins DISTRICT 44 (D)
2010 O'Brien Court, Shively, KY 40216
HOME: (502)447-4324 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. Mary Lou Marzian DISTRICT 34 (D)
2007 Tyler Ln, Louisville, KY 40205
HOME: (502)451-5032 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. Tim Moore DISTRICT 26 (R)
417 Bates Rd, Elizabethtown, KY 42701
HOME: (270)769-5878 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. Darryl T. Owens DISTRICT 43 (D)
1018 S. 4th. St, Ste. 100, Louisville, KY 40203
HOME: (502)584-6341 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. Ruth Ann Palumbo DISTRICT 76 (D)
10 Deepwood Dr, Lexington, KY 40505
HOME: (859)299-2597 ANNEX: (502)564-8100
Rep. Ben Waide DISTRICT 10
P.O. Box 1795, Madisonville, KY 42431
ANNEX: (502)564-8100 WORK: (270)824-9227
WORK FAX: (270)824-9206
Rep. Susan Westrom DISTRICT 79
PO Box 22778, Lexington, KY 405222778
ANNEX: (502)564-8100 WORK: (859)266-7581
Tom.Burch@lrc.ky.gov, Bob.DeWeese@lrc.ky.gov, David.Watkins@lrc.ky.gov, Addia.Wuchner@lrc.ky.gov, Julie.Adams@lrc.ky.gov, John.Arnold@lrc.ky.gov, Kelly.Flood@lrc.ky.gov, Jim.Glenn@lrc.ky.gov, Brent.Housman@lrc.ky.gov, Joni.Jenkins@lrc.ky.gov, MaryLou.Marzian@lrc.ky.gov, Tim.Moore@lrc.ky.gov, Darryl.Owens@lrc.ky.gov, RuthAnn.Palumbo@lrc.ky.gov, Ben.Waide@lrc.ky.gov, Susan.Westrom@lrc.ky.gov
Tom.Burch@lrc.ky.gov; Bob.DeWeese@lrc.ky.gov; David.Watkins@lrc.ky.gov; Addia.Wuchner@lrc.ky.gov; Julie.Adams@lrc.ky.gov; John.Arnold@lrc.ky.gov; Kelly.Flood@lrc.ky.gov; Jim.Glenn@lrc.ky.gov; Brent.Housman@lrc.ky.gov; Joni.Jenkins@lrc.ky.gov; MaryLou.Marzian@lrc.ky.gov; Tim.Moore@lrc.ky.gov; Darryl.Owens@lrc.ky.gov; RuthAnn.Palumbo@lrc.ky.gov; Ben.Waide@lrc.ky.gov; Susan.Westrom@lrc.ky.gov