Friday, February 17, 2012

Electronic Cigarette Mishaps Extremely Rare


In response to news that a Florida man was severely injured by an exploded electronic cigarette battery, the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA) expressed sympathy and hope for Tom Holloway’s speedy recovery. “In the wake of this event,” stated CASAA’s president, Elaine Keller, “our organization feels it is important to remember that what happened, while tragic, is extremely rare.”


Lithium-ion battery (left) vs. typical
electronic cigarette battery (right)
Lithium-ion batteries are used in many products, including laptop computers, cell phones, flashlights, electric toothbrushes, and even electric automobiles. Accidental fires or explosions in any of these products are rare, but not unheard of. “Nobody has called for all laptop computers or all cell phones to be pulled off the market,” stated Keller. “Therefore it is both premature and irresponsible at this point for anyone to imply that e-cigarettes are more dangerous than any other type of electronic device that uses lithium-ion batteries.”

According to the CDC, approximately 2.5 million smokers tried an e-cigarette in 2010, and CASAA estimates that more than 1 million former smokers currently use a smoke-free e-cigarette as a complete replacement for their combustible cigarettes. “These former smokers have reduced their risks of lung disease, heart disease, and cancers because they no longer inhale tar, carbon monoxide, particulates, and thousands of chemicals of combustion along with their nicotine,” said Keller. “Over 90% of e-cigarette users report that their health has improved since making the switch.”

At this point there is no information on what type of device Mr. Holloway was using at the time of the incident. However, CASAA would like to reassure the public that the vast majority of commercially available e-cigarettes have built-in safety features designed to prevent overheating. Moreover, most models contain a microchip that automatically shuts off the device in the unlikely event that overheating does occur.

CASAA continues to monitor the situation and will share information as it becomes available.

CASAA is a non-profit organization that works to ensure the availability of reduced harm alternatives to smoking and to provide smokers and non-smokers alike with truthful information about such alternatives.

Media Contact:

Elaine Keller
Springfield, VA
ekeller@casaa.org
(202) 241-9117

6 comments:

Calypso said...

I understand this man has been released from the hospital, and there are tons of us who want more information and details as to what he was using, whether it was a mod or stacked batteries. I truly hope he comes forth with this information soon.

aldrin james said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tatiana Rodriguez said...

May be this person selected the low quality electronic cigarette, i have heard such thing before and the reason was same, always do research before purchasing and never go for cheap ones.

Gavin Timothy said...

Reading reviews is the best solution to prevent such kind of incidents, the market is filled with every kind of product, it is you who have to do the study and select the best one.

Blake Persson said...

Electronic cigarettes surely reduces the risks of lung disease, heart disease and cancers, more and more people are switching to these, they are much safer than the tobacco filled ones.

Dolph ziggler said...

The complete blogs are really inconceivable and definitely everyone will share this information. Joyetech Evic