CASAA thanks its members in and around Kentucky who responded to this Call to Action.
An ACT prohibiting smoking in public places and places of employment. [link to full text of HB190]
If enacted, HB190 would:
Ban smoking in thousands of workplaces and public places in Kentucky, but would also dishonestly redefine smoking to include the use of electronic cigarettes and prohibit their use anywhere smoking is prohibited.
UPDATE 3/2/2013: Instead of being voted on in the full General Assembly, HB190 was sent to the Assembly Judiciary Committee. The Judiciary Committee will meet on Monday at 2 PM to discuss HB190. We are again asking e-cigarette users to make e-mails and phone calls in support of Rep. Stan Lee's HFA 1 Amendment to remove the e-cigarette usage ban.
UPDATE, 2/10/2013: Representative Stan Lee has filed an amendment (HFA 1) that would *remove* e-cigarettes from the smoking ban. CASAA strongly supports passage of this amendment.
What to say to members of the Assembly Judiciary Committee:
1. You support the HFA 1 amendment to HB190, which would remove smoke-free e-cigarettes from the proposed smoking ban.
2. Tell your story on how switching to an e-cigarette has changed your life.
3. Explain how smoking bans are enacted to protect the public from the harm of secondhand smoke, but e-cigarettes have not been shown to cause harm to bystanders. In fact, all evidence to date shows that the low health risks associated with e-cigarettes is comparable to other smokeless nicotine products.
The low risks of e-cigarettes is supported by research done by Dr. Siegel of Boston University, Dr. Eissenberg of Virginia Commonwealth, and Dr. Laugesen of Health New Zealand and by the fact that the FDA testing, in spite of its press statement, failed to find harmful levels of carcinogens or toxic levels of any chemical in the vapor.
4. Let them know that vapor does not behave in the same manner as smoke. There is no "side stream" vapor like the side stream smoke coming from the lit end of a cigarette and unlike cigarette smoke, the vapor is virtually odorless and dissipates quickly. There is also no ash or litter. With so little evidence of use, enforcing indoor use bans on e- cigarettes would be nearly impossible.
5. Inform them that the ability to use e- cigarettes in public spaces will actually improve public health by inspiring other smokers to switch. Surveys of thousands of users indicate that the majority of those who switch very quickly completely replace tobacco cigarettes with the e-cigarettes.
6. Tell them that by switching to a smokeless product, you have greatly reduced your health risks. The risk from use of smokeless products (including e-cigarettes) is estimated to be about 1/100th from that of smoking.
7. Note that while polls of Kentucky citizens may indicate support for a SMOKING ban, there is no evidence that Kentucky citizens support banning the use of e-cigarettes.
8. Direct them to the CASAA.org website for more information.
Who to contact: Representative John Tilley (D) Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 658
Representative Joseph M. Fischer (R) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 742
Representative Darryl T. Owens (D) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 685
Representative Ryan Quarles (R) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 671
Representative Brent Yonts (D) Vice Chair
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 686
Work: (270) 338-0816
Work: (270) 338-1639 (fax)
Representative Johnny Bell (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 688
Work: (270) 651-7005
Representative Robert Benvenuti III (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 628
Representative Jesse Crenshaw (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 620
Representative Kelly Flood (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 675
Representative Jeff Hoover (R)
Annex: (502) 564-0521
Representative Joni L. Jenkins (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 692
Representative Thomas Kerr (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 694
Representative Stan Lee (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 698
Representative Mary Lou Marzian (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 643
Representative Reginald Meeks (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 653
Representative Tom Riner (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 606
Representative Steven Rudy (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 637
Representative Kevin Sinnette (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 703
Representative Kenneth Upchurch (R)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 784
Representative Gerald Watkins (D)
Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 634
Comma delimited list:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
A note to Kentucky citizens: Your voice is the most vital tool we have in this fight. Please take the extra time to communicate your legislator (as well as legislators in nearby cities and counties) personally. A list of legislators can be found on the Legislature's website. When making a phone call or sending a letter to your representative, please request a phone call or face-to-face meeting. Be firm, be strong, and tell your story. And do not forget that CASAA is here to help and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.