(Update - 04/15/15)
Please Call the Washington State Legislature Hotline at 1-800-562-6000 and ask them to communicate to your reps that you OPPOSE HB 1645.
In its current form, HB 1645 would ban Internet sales and dramatically overregulate vapor products sold in the State of Washington. Even worse, there is a movement by some lawmakers to again try to impose punitive taxes and flavor bans!
Please Take Action NOW
by calling your lawmakers and urging them to Oppose HB 1645!
(Update - 03/12/15)
House Bill 1645 is scheduled for a hearing in the House Committee on Commerce & Gaming on MONDAY, March 16th, at 1:30pm. This bill would, among other things
- Enact a 95% tax on all vapor products (liquids and component parts)
- Prohibit the sale of flavored e-liquid
- Ban online sales (including concentrated nicotine for DIY)
- Impose labeling requirements unique to Washington
Please take action nowby calling and emailing Committee members and lawmakers from your district.
(Update - 02/23/15)
Washington Vapers may be receiving emails from their state lawmakers informing them that HB 1645 & SB 5573 are “dead.” This is not entirely accurate. In Washington, if a bill is deemed necessary to implement the budget (NTIB), it can be brought back to life -- even in the final days of budget negotiations. In other words, bills that would enact vapor taxes, flavor bans, sampling bans, etc. are all still ALIVE because if such provisions in Governor Inslee’s budget are adopted, they will need laws to support them.
To compound the threats in Washington, bills are allowed to be introduced up until the legislative session adjourns. This means that we could still see new vapor-related bills introduced up until late-April / early-May.
As the Washington Legislature considers how it will fund the state’s 2016 budget, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee is continuing his push for excessive taxes and harmful bans. Gov. Inslee is asking that the Legislature’s budget do the following:
- apply a 95% sales tax on all vapor product devices, components, and liquids;
- ban all online sales to WA residents;
- ban all flavors other than tobacco, mint, wintergreen, and menthol;
- ban sampling in all vape shops
Please take action NOW to protect vaping from these harmful proposals. With an issue as important as this, we are asking vapers not to only send an email, but make phone calls to your State Senator and two State Representatives, asking that they oppose the Governor’s 95% tax on vapor products and related proposals. Briefly tell your story about how vapor products have impacted your life or the life of a loved one. Remember: Always be respectful and make sure you leave your address so the legislators know you are calling from their district.
- Step 1) Oppose Gov. Inslee’s taxes and bans - Send an Email
- Step 2) Please call your Senator and Representatives and ask that they oppose Gov. Inslee’s harmful budget proposals relating to vapor products.
apply a 95% sales tax on all vapor product devices, components, and liquids; ban all online sales to WA residents; ban all flavors other than tobacco, mint, wintergreen, and menthol; ban sampling in all vape shops Oppose HB 1645 & SB 5573 - Send an Email