(Update - 03/09/15)
We are receiving word that HB 2404 is being rescheduled for the committee hearing on TUESDAY, March 17th, 2015 at 2:30 PM. Advocates that were planning to attend the hearing scheduled for tomorrow (3/10) should instead make plans for next week.
In the meantime, if you have not already taken action, please take a moment to send an email and make a phone call to your IL Legislators
This is an early report and the bill page on the Illinois legislature site has not been updated. We will update this Call to Action as we learn more.
HB 2404 would deceptively redefine “smoking” to include the use of an electronic cigarette for the purpose of prohibiting use in the same places where smoking is banned. HB 2404 has been referred to the IL House Consumer Protection Committee and is scheduled for a hearing on TUESDAY, 03/10/15 at 2:30 PM in Room 118 Capitol Building, Springfield, IL. Please make plans to attend the hearing if at all possible.
Please take action now by sending a message to the committee members and your representative.
- Oppose HB 2404 - Send an Email
Please make phone calls to members of the committee
- Oppose HB 2404 - Make a Call
Please take a moment to fill out a “witness slip” for the hearing.
- Step-by Step Instructions for submitting a witness slip in Illinois (Illinois Residents Only):
- Click here to access the witness slip for HB 2404.
- Part I. Enter your personal information.
- Part II Representation. Do not complete Part II unless you are expressing a position on behalf of a group. CASAA members should NOT complete Part II because you are offering your own position, not CASAA’s.
- Part III. Position: Click on the button next to “Opponent”
- Part IV. Testimony: Click on the box next to “Record of Appearance Only.” Filling out a witness slip does not mean you have to appear in person at the hearing (although we absolutely strongly encourage you to attend) – it is a mechanism that allows you to register your opposition to the resolution.
- Type the Captcha Code in the box.
- Click the box next to “I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement.”
- Click on “Create Slip.”
- Witness slips can be filled out by anyone age 13 and older. Consider talking with your children or grandchildren about this issue. If they're happy you made the switch, they might want to express their opposition to the bill by completing a witness slip.
(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.