Activities for this Call to Action:
- Call the Bill’s Sponsor, Sen. Sylvia Garcia and ask that SB 706 be withdrawn
- (512) 463-0106
Attend the hearing (1:00 p.m. Monday, April 6, 2015)
SB 706 would include “a liquid substance” used to refill an e-cigarette in the state’s Health and Safety Code as a “hazardous substance.” This would apply to all e-liquid regardless of nicotine content. Although this would be a means to requiring bottled e-liquid to be sold in child-resistant packaging (which CASAA is supportive of as long as it is tied to a federal standard), there are several other sections of the code that would likely limit consumer access to vapor products including
- Labeling requirements
- Granting rule-making authority to an unelected Board of Health
- Registration requirements for manufacturers, importers, wholesalers, and some retailers
1. Please take action NOW by sending a message to your senator urging him or her to oppose this bill.
- Oppose SB 706 - Send an Email
(If you live in a district represented by one of the committee members, you will receive a separate alert prompting you to take action. It is vitally important that you participate as lawmakers consider the views of their constituents with more weight.)
2. Please reach out to the bill’s sponsor and politely request that SB 706 be withdrawn:
- Senator Sylvia Garcia (District 6)
- Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0106
- District Phone: (713) 923-7575
3. SB 706 will be heard in the Senate Health & Human Services Committee:
2nd floor of East Wing of the Capitol
1100 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701
Please make plans to attend this hearing. Public testimony will be limited to 3 minutes. If submitting written testimony, please provide 20 copies with your name on each. Even if you do not intend to testify, your presence is important as it shows the large number of people impacted by, and engaged in, this issue.
(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.